Saturday, February 18, 2012

If a medication's half life is 2 hours, how long does the medicine's effect actually last?

If the type of medicine matters in this equation, I am on 10 mg of Ambien, due to insomnia. (I take it at night between 8 or 9 before bed so I'll be awake and alert at school.) Anything you can tell me about what half lives mean, pertaining to medicines, I'd appreciate it! I'm pretty curious about the scientific side of the medicine, if that makes sense. It's been 10 years since my middle school science classes so I'm a bit fuzzy on all that.

Answer:

"Half-life" refers to the amount of time it takes for the concentration of a medication to decrease by 50%. So if the concentration of a medicine peaks at 100 units, and the half-life is 2 hours, then the concentration will be 50 units in 2 hours, 25 units in 4 hours, 12.5 units in 6 hours, and so on. How long a medicine has its effect is rather subjective, since how that effect is perceived varies from person to person. Generally it is hard to pick an exact point at which the effect is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment